March 9, 2016
If you are like me, anything I can make ahead of time is always a great option. J And when you have real food already made it makes those busy mornings or evenings so much easier. And between the kids’ activities, school activities, church and just wanting to be outside enjoying the nice weather some evenings have less dinner prep time available. On those nights, try these delicious breakfast muffins. We call them breakfast muffins but they make a great little meal on the go or in a rush. I made a batch (or two) and freeze them – and then just pop them into the toaster oven or microwave and Viola!
- 2 pieces whole-wheat sandwich bread
- 8 eggs, farmers’ market or organicrecommended
- ½ cup milk, any kind will work but we use whole milkin our house
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 oz grated cheese, organic sharp cheddar recommended
- ½ lb cooked and crumbled breakfast sausage or bacon, local or organic recommended
- Also need: Foil muffin holders for baking
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Distribute 12 foil muffin holders into a muffin baking pan. If the foil holders are lined with paper either don’t use those or make sure they are on the outside as shown in the picture.
- Cut the sandwich bread into half inch squares and evenly distribute them on the bottom of the muffin cups (pictured above).
- In a mixing bowl or large measuring cup that has a pour spout thoroughly whisk together the eggs and milk. Add a few dashes of salt and pepper if desired.
- Evenly distribute the egg mixture into each muffin cup. It’s okay if the bread pieces float to the top.
- Sprinkle an equal amount of both the grated cheese and the crumbled bacon (or sausage) into each muffin cup on top of the egg mixture.
- Bake at 350 for 15 minutes or until eggs are set.
Enjoy or freeze (in-between sheets of wax paper) for another day!
This is a great recipe to change up and make your own. You can omit the bacon/sausage if you prefer and add in spinach, celery etc. I usually have the kids help me make these; they are a fun kid recipe to make. They each choose their own fillings, and most people are surprised that they will opt for spinach! Plus getting them involved in the baking process makes it easier for me…because they will eat them no questions asked! J
I hope your family loves these as much as ours does, and try new variations….that’s always the most fun!
Happy Meal Prepping 🙂 !!!